Nurse Extern Program
What is a Nurse Extern Program?
UofL Hospital is offering senior nursing students a nine-week, paid summer externship in which the extern will be immersed in the role of a professional nurse. The extern will work side-by-side with a registered nurse, providing hands-on patient care, and developing clinical reasoning skills necessary for delivering quality patient care.Â
There are externship opportunities in a variety of clinical specialties and with the diverse patient populations served at UofL Hospital. These include critical care, progressive care / step down, emergency, obstetrics, psychiatry, oncology and surgical services. Additional clinical and professional development opportunities will be provided.
Apply to the 2020 UofL Nurse Extern Program now to give yourself a head start as a professional nurse!
- The Nurse Extern Program is a nine-week program at UofL Hospital.
- Program Dates: May 18 â€“ July 18
- The Nurse Extern must commit in advance to all nine weeks.
- Upon completion of the program, nurse externs will be honored at a celebration and receive certificates of completion.
- Successful nurse externs may hire on in a permanent per diem (PRN) role as they complete nursing school.
- Be actively enrolled in an accredited school of nursing program
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA with an anticipated graduation date prior to June 2021
- Be able to meet UofL Hospital job-related requirements
- Be certified in BLS for Healthcare Providers from the American Heart Association
- Work 40 hours during Week 1, and commit to 24 hours during weeks 2-9
- Not be contracted to another facility following graduation
Upon completion of the program, the nurse extern will:
- Demonstrate increased proficiency in clinical skills
- Develop time management and organizational skills necessary as a professional nurse
- Grow in understanding the role of the professional nurse
- Gain self-confidence in the role of the professional nurse
Nurse Externs will have the opportunity to:
- Work one-on-one with a RN, performing the duties of the professional nurse
- Learn about assessments, medication administration, charting standards, and clinical reasoning
- Receive PRIORITY job placement upon graduation
Applications will be accepted Dec. 1, 2019 â€“ Jan. 31, 2020. Successful applicants will submit:
- A cover letter and resume
- An official or unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation from nursing faculty
Interested candidates can apply and upload documents here (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NurseExternApplication2020)
Applicants will be notified of selection for interviews in early February 2020, with final selection made by March 1, 2020.